Subscribe:

Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Nikki’s Inbox: A Tomboy She’s Not! « THE YESSTYLIST – Asian Fashion Blog


I’ve always been a tomboy and I dress like a guy (mostly T-shirts or tank tops with jeans and sneakers) and this has always worked for me so far. Last week though, I decided to shave off my long locks and donate them to a charity that makes wigs for people undergoing chemo.
While I’m very lucky that my boyfriend supported my decision and loves my new hair (turns out short hair really suits me), I now need a major wardrobe overhaul. My new short hairdo with old tomboy wardrobe makes me look too manly and when I’m wearing my super baggy tees, I worry I may easily be mistaken for a guy. I’m 5′4″, have a bit of a bust and a nice shapely butt but that’s not enough femininity to outweigh the masculinity right now.
I’m hoping you can suggest things that I can add to my mostly tees and jeans wardrobe that will add a touch of feminine flair without looking overly girly or costing me a fortune.
Angela Marie, 27/ Ohio, USA

Angela Marie, ma cherie, you ARE a star! It takes a lot of guts to chop off lengthy locks so props to you for doing it for a good cause. Personally, I’m a fan of short hair and long hair alike. Long hair is sultry and sexy but short hair lets through a range of personalities. Spike it up like Victoria Beckham and Faye Wong for an androgynously cool (and often sexy) look or style it in a simple and sweet pixie ‘do a la Carey Mulligan andYoon Eun Hye. When it grows out into a bob, there are so many more styling options, such as gentle curls at the ends or a side-swept bob! Check out those ladies for more styling inspirations in addition to my tips below!
There are two main ways to turn up the femininity in your look — with makeup (more on that later) and by showing off your figure. If you know you’ve got the bust and butt (and kudos to you girl, for recognizing your assets!) be sure to show them off! Here’s how:
Ditch the baggy tees and jeans for something a little more fitted. Maybe that means you need to DIY your tees to make them smaller or toss out your baggy tees and jeans entirely. Clearing out your wardrobe once every other season is something you should be doing regularly anyway. If a piece doesn’t fit (whether it’s no longer the right size or if it’s just out of date), pack it up and donate it to charity. Invest in skinny jeans and wide flared jeans as these show off your figure while adding a touch of “girl!” to your look. One easy peasy, low-cost solution is cinching your oversized tees with a belt and pairing them with leggings or figure-hugging shorts to show off your curves.
Reach for inherently feminine pieces like florals, pastels and ruffles. A dress adds a simple girly touch in a jiffy, whether it’s a body-con T-shirt dress or a flirty A-line number. Tuck your baggy tees into a jersey pencil skirt and pair with your favorite sneakers for an easy way to femme up your look. Just a heads up — this spring and summer season will see a lot of florals, gold-tone and all-white pieces, so feel free to add one or two shimmery metallic skirts, floral tea dresses and all-white ensembles.
Accessorize with jewelry to instantly glam up your basics. If girly-girl wear just isn’t your thing, throw on a pair of sparkly earrings and a chunky metallic necklace to instantly dress up your outfit. Short hair can really highlight your ears so I would focus on head-turning earrings.
A touch of makeup can really make you stand out, even when you’re decked out in a tee-jeans-and-sneakers combo. You can instantly channel your inner woman with something as simple as strong red lips. If you’re ready to play around with more, add focus on the eyes with a daytime smoky eyeshadow and then treat yourself to pretty manicured tips. I assure you, no one will ever doubt your femininity again!
All the ladies in the house, how do you channel your inner woman? Share in the comments!

0 comments:

Post a Comment